The West Bengal government on Thursday annulled the Banga Bibhushan conferred on BJP Rajya Sabha member Nagendra Ray, popularly known as Ananta Maharaj, after remarks he made about freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose triggered widespread backlash across political and social circles.
Official order cites 'facts and circumstances' after conferment
The award, one of the state's highest civilian honours, had been conferred on 21 February this year at a programme marking International Mother Language Day, when the then-chief minister Mamata Banerjee presented the accolade, according to official accounts. The government issued an order on Thursday stating that "certain facts and circumstances which have arisen/subsequently come to the notice of the Government are considered to be of such nature and seriousness as to raise a question as to the continued retention of the aforesaid honour" by Ray. The order further says the competent authority is satisfied that retaining the honour would be "inconsistent with the dignity, prestige and purpose of the honour."
Ray, a leader from Cooch Behar and an influential figure in the Rajbanshi community, was nominated to the Upper House from West Bengal in July 2023 with BJP backing, and is associated with the Greater Cooch Behar People’s Association, reports state.
Remarks that prompted the action
The controversy followed comments Ray made at a meeting in Dinhata on 19 July, when he questioned Netaji's role in the Indian National Army and its origins. At the meeting he asked:
“Did Netaji have the capacity to organise and form the Azad Hind Fauj?”
He also asserted that the INA were "all British soldiers" and alleged that the force had been "misused", and claimed the Azad Hind Fauj originated from British-Indian troops purportedly handed over by Germany, according to reports. Those remarks drew immediate condemnation from several quarters in West Bengal.
Political and community response
The statements provoked strong reactions from political parties, community organisations and individuals. Prominent Rajbanshi leaders issued a joint statement calling the remarks "false, insulting and damaging to social harmony," according to the reporting. The Forward Bloc — a party founded by Netaji — registered police complaints and demanded Ray's immediate expulsion from the Rajya Sabha.
Senior BJP figure Tathagata Roy is reported to have urged the party's central leadership to step in. The matter also drew sharp exchanges between state political leaders: former chief minister Mamata Banerjee accused the BJP of insulting Netaji, while West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari warned that derogatory statements about the freedom fighter could invite legal action.
What the order says — key points
- The Banga Bibhushan was conferred on 21 February this year.
- The government said new facts and circumstances have come to light after the conferment.
- After review, the competent authority concluded that continued retention of the honour by Nagendra Ray would be inconsistent with its dignity and purpose, and the award was withdrawn.
| Date | Event |
|---|---|
| 21 Feb 2026 | Banga Bibhushan conferred on Nagendra Ray at state programme |
| 19 Jul 2026 | Ray's remarks on Netaji at Dinhata meeting |
| 13 Aug 2026 | State government issues order withdrawing the award |
Local sensitivities and historical context
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose remains an emotive and revered figure in Bengal's public life and political culture, and any perceived denigration of his role tends to provoke swift public and political responses. The withdrawal of a state honour is a rare administrative step, signalling the government’s view that certain statements by an awardee can undermine the award's dignity.
For communities in north Bengal such as the Rajbanshis, Ray's political standing and cultural work had been cited as reasons for his earlier recognition. The abrupt revocation of the Banga Bibhushan underlines the tension between community representation and wider public sentiment on matters of historical memory in the state.
What happens next
The order does not, in itself, prescribe criminal or parliamentary consequences for Ray; separate legal or procedural steps would follow if complaints lodged by political parties and organisations lead to police action or formal proceedings in the Rajya Sabha. Reports say the chief minister had directed the police to look into derogatory remarks about Netaji, and the police response may determine any further action.
The withdrawal removes a formal state recognition granted earlier this year and converts a cultural controversy into an administrative and political issue at a time when debates over historical memory and political discourse remain especially charged in West Bengal.