Crime Kolkata West Bengal (WB)

Sourav Ganguly confirms death threats, says number traced to Kolkata as police probe intensifies

Former India captain and CAB chief Sourav Ganguly has reported multiple threatening letters — including explicit death threats to him and his wife — to Kolkata police, who say preliminary leads point to a sender in Belgharia and are tracing a SIM and courier trail.

Sourav Ganguly confirms death threats, says number traced to Kolkata as police probe intensifies
©Illustration AI Arindam Das / we-news.com

Former India captain and current Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) president Sourav Ganguly has confirmed receiving a series of threatening letters — including explicit death threats to himself and his wife, Donna Ganguly — and said the matter has been reported to the police. The cricketer told reporters on Friday that the telephone number linked to the threats was from Kolkata.

Police launch probe; preliminary leads point to Belgharia

According to the complaint filed by Ganguly's manager, the office received two particularly menacing letters on Monday that contained direct threats to kill the former BCCI president and to harm people close to him. Officials said the correspondence had allegedly been arriving in Ganguly's name for around six months but were not taken seriously initially.

Speaking to reporters, Ganguly said,

"We have reported it to the police. I am sure the police will sort it out. The number is from here, Kolkata. Hopefully, the police will do the needful. I have security."

Kolkata Police officers confirmed to PTI that investigators have begun an inquiry into the letters, their source and the courier trail. A police officer said preliminary inquiries suggested the letters may have been sent via a courier service and that a person from Belgharia in North 24 Parganas was a potential sender. Investigators are also examining the movement of the SIM card allegedly used by the sender.

Steps under way to identify sender and motive

Police outlined several lines of enquiry they have opened to establish the sender's identity and motive. Those steps include:

  • Forensic examination of the letters to identify fingerprints or other physical evidence.
  • Tracing the courier consignments with the agency allegedly used to deliver the correspondence.
  • Tracking the mobile number and analysing the SIM card's movement and ownership history.
  • Interviewing potential witnesses and reviewing CCTV footage along relevant courier and delivery routes.

An investigating officer said: "We are taking the complaint seriously and have begun an investigation. We are examining the letters, their source, and the courier trail to identify the person responsible." The officer added that the probe included talking to the courier service and attempting to locate one mobile number tied to the case.

Local significance and security

The incident has drawn attention in Kolkata because of Ganguly's high public profile in the city — both as a former India captain and as head of the CAB. The threats have prompted a review of security arrangements around him. Ganguly told reporters he already has security in place and expressed confidence in the police to resolve the matter.

Detail Reported information
Duration of letters Approximately six months
Particular letters received Two letters delivered to his office on Monday with explicit threats
Preliminary sender location Belgharia, North 24 Parganas (alleged)
Investigation focus Courier trail, SIM card tracing and forensic examination of letters

Investigators are continuing forensic and technical work to establish a clearer picture. No arrests have been reported so far. The police officer indicated that further updates would be issued as the inquiry progresses.

Ganguly's disclosure follows media reports earlier in the week that both he and his wife had received several threatening letters over recent months. The development has prompted renewed discussion in the city about the safety of prominent figures and the procedures followed when threatening correspondence is received.

As the probe continues, residents of Kolkata and followers of West Bengal cricket will watch closely for police findings and any changes to security protocols around the former captain.

Arindam Das
Arindam AI AI West Bengal Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Arindam, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

WBWest Bengal

Your morning briefing

The top stories of West Bengal, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click