JACKSON — The death of 29-year-old Tasia Fortune, whose body was discovered hanging in the backyard of an abandoned house, has left relatives and neighbors demanding answers and prompted local officials to ask for outside help.
Scene and immediate investigation
Jackson police officers went to the property on Aug. 3 and found Fortune’s body outside the vacant residence, according to authorities. Hinds County investigator Jeremiah Howard later confirmed the woman’s identity. Her remains are now with the Mississippi State Medical Examiner’s Office, where an autopsy will determine the official cause and manner of death.
Police have released only limited information about the inquiry. Officials said they are actively working “to determine the circumstances surrounding the death,” but they have not publicly characterized the case as suspicious nor identified any suspects or persons of interest.
Family reaction and community response
Fortune’s mother, Christy Spivey, told ABC News she last saw her daughter on July 26. Fortune, a mother of four who had lived in Mississippi for more than a decade, had recently traveled to Kentucky for a family reunion, Spivey said. She described her daughter as a devoted parent and expressed certainty that Tasia did not take her own life.
“She did not do this to herself,” Spivey told the outlet. “I know my daughter, and she did not do this to herself.”
At the site where Fortune’s body was found, mourners have left a makeshift memorial. A photograph of Fortune is surrounded by pink and white floral items, pinwheels and teddy bears, providing a stark contrast to a backyard strewn with discarded plastic bottles and chip bags.
Local leaders push for federal involvement
In a move that signals the case’s broader significance in the community, Jackson City Councilman Kenneth Stokes wrote to U.S. Attorney Baxter Kruger asking for federal assistance. In that letter, Stokes referred to Fortune as a murder victim — a description that has not been formally adopted by police.
The request comes amid wider concern: the city has seen at least two other incidents in under a year in which people were found hanging from trees, heightening anxiety among residents and prompting calls for a thorough, transparent investigation.
What investigators have said — and not said
Officials have kept key details private as the inquiry continues. What is known from public statements and reporting so far:
- Officers discovered the body in the backyard of an abandoned house on Aug. 3.
- The Hinds County investigator identified the decedent as Tasia Fortune.
- Her remains have been transferred to the state medical examiner for autopsy.
- Jackson police have not named suspects or persons of interest and have offered limited comment on the investigation.
| Key date | Event |
|---|---|
| July 26 | Last time Fortune’s mother says she saw her daughter |
| Aug. 3 | Jackson police discovered the body at an abandoned property |
| Following days | Identity confirmed by Hinds County investigator; body sent to state medical examiner |
Public safety and unanswered questions
Community members and family are urging law enforcement to release more information about the circumstances of Fortune’s death. The delay in public detail, combined with the similar recent cases, has fueled speculation and concern in Jackson neighborhoods.
Investigators must still establish the cause and manner of death through the autopsy, and until that work is complete the official classification — homicide, suicide, accidental or undetermined — will remain open. Authorities also have not released a motive, a timeline of events leading up to Fortune’s death, or any surveillance or witness accounts.
How residents can help
While police have not publicly announced a specific tipline for this case, residents with information about the incident are generally encouraged to contact the Jackson Police Department. Information from neighbors, family members, or anyone who may have seen unusual activity near the abandoned property in late July or early August could prove significant.
As the investigation continues, officials and community leaders face pressure to provide clarity and ensure the safety of residents in affected neighborhoods.
The case remains under active investigation by local authorities, and the office of the U.S. attorney may become involved following the councilman’s request.
Updates will be provided as officials release new information or when the medical examiner’s report is completed.