Plans for the funeral of Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor have not been updated, a royal historian has suggested, as renewed media coverage probes what level of ceremony the former Duke of York might receive if he were to die while the current monarch remains on the throne.
Commentators say decisions likely to wait until a new monarch
Speaking to GB News, royal historian Rafe Heydel‑Mankoo said the issue is unlikely to be settled while King Charles is sovereign. He told the broadcaster that arrangements “are not going to be made until King William is on the throne”, adding that the Prince of Wales has taken a stricter stance towards his uncle.
“Issues around his funeral are not going to be made until King William is on the throne - and we know that the Prince of Wales has adopted the harshest of attitudes towards his uncle.”
The discussion followed reporting in the Mail on Sunday that suggested the former duke could still be in line for a full royal ceremonial funeral, despite having been stripped of official royal titles by the King last year.
Background: titles, legal matters and local connections
The former Duke of York, who remains in good health and is aged 66, has seen a gradual removal of honours and roles over a number of years. The King removed his royal titles last year after further material came to light following a tranche of files released by the United States Department of Justice relating to Jeffrey Epstein.
Earlier sanctions on his public roles were applied under the late Queen Elizabeth II, when military titles and royal patronages were withdrawn after a civil action in the United States alleging sexual assault. The claimant in that case was Virginia Giuffre; the litigation was resolved by an out‑of‑court settlement for a sum reported as being in the millions. The former duke has consistently denied wrongdoing.
More recently, Andrew Mountbatten‑Windsor was arrested by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office when he was serving as a trade envoy; he was later released under investigation. He has also moved residence since losing some royal connections, having been evicted from Royal Lodge after more than two decades and relocating to Marsh Farm on the King’s Sandringham Estate.
How commentators frame possible ceremony
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told the People’s Channel that any ceremony for the former duke would likely acknowledge his military service, citing his role during the Falklands War. Such remarks highlight the tension between ceremonial recognition for service and the withdrawal of honours in response to allegations and public controversy.
For Windsor residents, these discussions touch on local institutions and public perceptions. The removal of titles and patronages has consequences for local charities, military associations and organisations that previously maintained links with members of the royal family. Any future decisions about funeral arrangements would also raise practical questions for authorities about the scale and security of an event with royal associations.
- Media reports suggested ceremonial funeral plans remain possible despite title removals.
- Royal historian says arrangements likely to be decided only after a change of monarch.
- Past actions include removal of titles last year and a civil settlement in the US; Thames Valley Police investigation followed a more recent arrest and release under investigation.
| Event | Detail |
|---|---|
| Titles removed | By the King, last year |
| Age | 66 |
| US civil action | Settled out of court; claimant named Virginia Giuffre |
| Police inquiry | Arrested by Thames Valley Police; released under investigation |
| Residence moved | From Royal Lodge to Marsh Farm, Sandringham Estate |
At present, officials have not published any updated ceremonial plans. The debate among commentators underscores the cautious approach that senior royal aides and the palace may take when considering honours, funerals and public recognition, especially where past controversies remain part of the public record.
For residents in Windsor, where royal matters often intersect with public life, the story is a reminder of how decisions taken at the highest levels of the monarchy can filter down to local groups and services, from charities and regiments to policing and event planning.