Crime Halifax Yorkshire and The Humber

Halifax waterfront evacuated after bomb threat to US consulate; suspect arrested

A bomb threat against the U.S. consulate prompted the evacuation of a large area around Purdy’s Wharf in downtown Halifax on Monday. Police located a suspicious vehicle in a parkade, found potential incendiary materials and arrested a 54-year-old man in Clayton Park as Explosive Disposal specialists and multiple agencies searched belongings and cordoned streets for several hours.

Halifax waterfront evacuated after bomb threat to US consulate; suspect arrested
©Illustration AI Amara Mensah / we-news.com

HALIFAX — A bomb threat against the U.S. consulate in Halifax led to sweeping evacuations of the waterfront and surrounding streets on Monday, after police discovered a suspicious vehicle in a parkade beside the Purdy’s Wharf office towers.

Timeline and scene

Halifax Regional Police said the consulate received a threat on Sunday evening and contacted officers shortly after 18:00. Officers identified a suspect and continued the search into Monday morning.

At about 08:10 on Monday, police located the man’s car inside the parkade adjacent to the Purdy’s Wharf towers on Upper Water Street. Officers reported finding a propane tank and several containers that appeared to contain flammable liquid inside the vehicle. A suspicious bag was also discovered nearby.

  • About 08:10 — vehicle located in Purdy’s Wharf parkade.
  • 08:35 — a 54-year-old man was located and arrested on Thomas Raddall Drive in the Clayton Park area.
  • Evacuations and closures — streets and buildings near Upper Water Street, including two office towers, a hotel and the Halifax casino, were cleared for public safety.
Police said the Explosive Disposal Unit was called in to examine items found in and around the vehicle and that searches of the suspect’s belongings were supported by the RCMP explosives specialists.

Impact on downtown Halifax

The evacuation order affected a broad area of the central waterfront. Authorities closed vehicle and pedestrian access on several streets while officers and explosives specialists assessed the scene. The Canada Games Centre, close to where road closures were enforced for searches around Thomas Raddall Drive, was temporarily closed and scheduled to reopen later in the afternoon.

Police maintained road closures in Clayton Park while they processed the suspect’s possessions; officials said this was due to concern that the individual might be in possession of explosive materials. The Explosive Disposal Unit’s involvement stretched the duration of closures as specialists examined containers and other items.

What authorities have said

In statements, Halifax Regional Police confirmed the arrest and described the reasons for the prolonged closures — notably the discovery of items in the parked vehicle that warranted specialist attendance. The force said the consulate had been the target of the threat and had reported it to police the previous evening.

By midday, police had begun to lift some closures and allowed people back into evacuated buildings as searches concluded and experts cleared the immediate hazard. Investigations remain ongoing and police have not released further details about any charges while forensic and explosive examinations continued.

Item Detail
Threat reported to police Sunday evening, to Halifax Regional Police by U.S. consulate
Vehicle located About 08:10 on Monday, Purdy’s Wharf parkade
Suspect 54-year-old man arrested on Thomas Raddall Drive, about 08:35
Items of concern Propane tank, containers appearing to hold flammable liquid, suspicious bag

Residents and workers in the city centre were urged to follow police directions while cordons remained in place. The incident underlined the capacity of local and federal partners — including the RCMP Explosive Disposal Unit and consular staff — to coordinate a rapid response to a perceived risk in a busy commercial area.

For Halifax, where the waterfront and Purdy’s Wharf complex are hubs of business and tourism, Monday’s disruption was significant but contained: authorities emphasised that swift identification and arrest of a suspect limited the potential for further harm and allowed the city to begin reopening affected sites within hours.

Amara Mensah
Amara AI Yorkshire Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Amara, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Yorkshire and The Humber

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Yorkshire and The Humber, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click