Thousands of protesters in the eastern state of Jharkhand marched towards the state assembly on Monday, intensifying a demonstration that began in late July over alleged irregularities in government recruitment examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC).
Background and immediate trigger
Protesters have been gathered at a stadium in the state capital Ranchi since 25 July, with some sleeping in the open and several going on hunger strike, according to the reporting. The agitation was sparked by a preliminary civil service examination held in April, whose results were published in July. Candidates said leaked answer sheets circulated on social media suggested that some successful applicants had answered far fewer questions than would normally be expected, fuelling suspicions that the outcome had been manipulated.
The state government has said it will ensure justice for students, and the allegations are being probed by Jharkhand's Criminal Investigation Department (CID). Investigators are also examining the role of a private company engaged to conduct parts of the examination process after candidates questioned how the vendor was selected.
Developments so far
Following talks with protesters, the state agreed to cancel the contested examination and two other tests, and three members of the JPSC reportedly resigned. Authorities have arrested more than a dozen people as part of the investigation, the reporting said.
| Item | Reported figure / action |
|---|---|
| Protest camp established | Since 25 July |
| Examinations cancelled | Three (the April JPSC exam and two other tests) |
| JPSC resignations | Three members |
| Arrests reported | More than a dozen |
Scale and atmosphere
Visuals from Ranchi showed large crowds of students, jobseekers and volunteers on the streets alongside a substantial police presence and media personnel. Security was tightened near the assembly, where barbed-wire barricades were reported. Protesters have maintained pressure through demonstrations, sit-ins and hunger strikes, signalling they will continue until all their demands are met despite concessions from the state.
Organisers have demanded an overhaul of the state's government exam system, including an end to reliance on the private company involved in administering parts of the process and a federal probe into the conduct of the tests. The protests in Jharkhand echo wider unrest among Indian youth over perceived weaknesses in the competitive examination system, and follow a high-profile movement in New Delhi that concluded after the resignation of the Union education minister, Dharmendra Pradhan.
What the authorities say
The state government has held multiple rounds of talks with the protesters and accepted several demands, including the cancellation of the disputed examinations. The CID has been tasked with investigating the alleged leaks and other irregularities; those probes remain under way. The government says it will provide redress to affected candidates, while investigators continue to examine the private company's role in the selection and conduct of the exams.
- Cancellation of exams was agreed after talks, a major immediate concession by the state.
- Criminal probe by the CID is in progress and arrests have been made.
- Resignations from the JPSC signal institutional repercussions, though the investigation continues.
Protesters have said they will press on until they are satisfied with systemic changes to recruitment procedures. The continuing agitation in Jharkhand is likely to keep scrutiny on examination integrity at a national level, underscoring how recruitment processes for public-sector jobs remain a flashpoint for youth activism across India.
These developments are ongoing; investigators and the state government have not yet released a final report on the alleged irregularities or the selection process for the private company involved.