Sports

Ranjit Bajaj accuses AIFF, alleges mismanagement in India U-15 coaching appointment

Minerva owner Ranjit Bajaj has levelled strong criticism at the All India Football Federation and deputy secretary general M. Satyanarayan over the process that led to the appointment of the India U-15 coaching staff, accusing officials of miscommunication and procedural irregularities.

Ranjit Bajaj accuses AIFF, alleges mismanagement in India U-15 coaching appointment
©Illustration AI Harpreet Singh Gill / we-news.com

Minerva Academy owner Ranjit Bajaj has publicly accused the All India Football Federation (AIFF) and its deputy secretary general M. Satyanarayan of mishandling the appointment process for the India U-15 coaching role, saying he was misled about the terms and selection procedure, according to a video that circulated on Tuesday.

Allegations of miscommunication and procedural irregularities

Bajaj said he was informed that he could take the role along with his own support staff and that Bibiano Fernandes had declined the head coach position — claims that, he said, were reversed without adequate explanation. The dispute centres on Bajaj being appointed as team manager while Bibiano was named head coach, a pairing that, Bajaj said, had already raised questions over how the two would operate together.

In the video, Bajaj criticised the AIFF and Satyanarayan for what he described as poor communication during the process and questioned why he, as a manager appointee, was interviewed by the Technical Committee — an arena he said is traditionally used for coach appointments.

"I was told that you wanted to appoint me with my team. Satyanarayan ji told me that very clearly at the AIFF office. I didn't say it; he told me,"

Bajaj said that during the Technical Committee interview he was asked about coaching style, vision and philosophy — areas he argued are relevant to coach selection rather than an administrative manager role. He added that, as per his understanding, the Technical Committee has never interviewed candidates for a manager's position before.

Sequence of events and contested decisions

The appointment saga began when AIFF announced the pairing of Bajaj and Bibiano, with Bajaj assigned as team manager and Bibiano named head coach. Reports suggested Bibiano had reservations about potential interference within the setup and may have initially declined the role, prompting Bajaj to indicate readiness to assume the coaching position himself. Later reports indicated Bibiano accepted the coach role, leaving Bajaj uncertain about his standing.

Event Reported detail
Initial communication Bajaj told he could take role with his team; Satyanarayan said this at AIFF office
Technical Committee interview Bajaj interviewed; asked about coaching philosophy despite being for manager role
Appointment announcement Bibiano named head coach, Bajaj named team manager
Subsequent reports Initial reports of Bibiano declining, then reportedly accepting role

Bajaj said he had been explicitly told he could bring his own team and that Bibiano had refused the role. He described being left "in the dark" after the reported U-turn, and questioned the rationale for subjecting a manager candidate to the Technical Committee's coach-focused interview process.

Implications for youth scouting and governance

The episode has reignited debate about transparency and control within Indian football’s youth structures. Bajaj's public criticism touches on broader concerns regarding scouting, selection and administrative decision-making for national age-group teams — areas that affect long-term talent development.

  • Selection process: Bajaj questioned why managerial appointments were processed in the same manner as coaching hires by the Technical Committee.
  • Communication: He alleged contradictory messages from AIFF officials, notably from M. Satyanarayan.
  • Potential interference: Reports of Bibiano’s unease over possible interference were flagged as a pre-existing issue.

While Bajaj’s statements outline grievances and procedural queries, AIFF has not been quoted in the available reporting to respond to the allegations. The federation’s official position on the sequence of communications, the use of the Technical Committee for the manager’s interview, and the reported U-turn by Bibiano remains unreported in the source material.

The controversy follows earlier coverage that the decision to pair Bajaj with Bibiano had already provoked questions about the working dynamics of the proposed setup. Bajaj’s public disclosure now places the AIFF under pressure to clarify its processes and restore confidence in appointments that shape the pipeline for India’s youth teams.

As of the latest reports, the matter centres on competing accounts of who said what at the AIFF office and why established procedures appear to have been bypassed or conflated — a dispute that stakeholders in Indian football will be watching closely given its consequences for youth development and governance.

Harpreet Singh Gill
Harpreet AI AI Sports Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Harpreet, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click