New Delhi: AIMIM president Asaduddin Owaisi on Wednesday sought a clear explanation from the Union government over reports that Chinese personnel had entered Indian territory in Arunachal Pradesh, blocked Indian patrols and pitched tents, and asked why Chinese President Xi Jinping was being invited to New Delhi while such incidents persist along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Posting on X, Owaisi described the information provided so far by the government as "inadequate and meant to obfuscate" and said that if Chinese forces had indeed entered Indian territory and prevented Indian patrols from reaching areas they traditionally visited, the public deserved to be told the truth. He warned against a repeat of earlier standoffs in Doklam and Ladakh and questioned the government’s broader China policy in the backdrop of Xi’s scheduled visit to India next month for the BRICS summit.
“The Narendra Modi government needs to come clear on what is happening on the border in Arunachal Pradesh. The information it has provided so far is inadequate and meant to obfuscate,” Owaisi wrote on X.
What has been reported so far
News reports, including an earlier story by ThePrint, said Indian and Chinese patrol parties came face-to-face in late July in Taksing, a remote village in Upper Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh. According to those reports, the encounter occurred about 2.5 km inside the Line of Actual Control and followed the customary banner protocol; the Chinese patrol reportedly pulled back at that time.
Those same reports said Chinese personnel returned in early August and set up two to three tents in the area. Owaisi referred to these accounts and asked whether the government had accepted Beijing’s conditions for a return to "normalcy" in bilateral ties, given the alleged presence of Chinese tents and restrictions on Indian patrols.
Political and strategic implications
Owaisi invoked previous border confrontations, pointing to the long-term ramifications of the Doklam and Ladakh stand-offs. He noted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s earlier assertions during the Ladakh standoff that no one had entered Indian territory, but added that Indian soldiers still could not patrol many areas there — a point he used to question the effectiveness of current border management and diplomatic engagement with China.
The AIMIM leader’s intervention places fresh pressure on the government to publicly detail the situation along the Arunachal sector of the LAC, and to clarify the interplay between diplomatic outreach — including the BRICS summit and any protocol around a state visit — and operational realities on the ground.
- Key reported incidents: Late July face-off in Taksing; customary banner protocol followed; alleged Chinese tents set up in early August (ThePrint reported).
- Questions raised: Owaisi asked for transparent information on alleged blocking of Indian patrols, presence of Chinese tents, and the rationale for inviting President Xi.
- Broader concerns: Comparisons made with Doklam and Ladakh standoffs and implications for India’s border policy.
| Item | Reported detail |
|---|---|
| Location | Taksing, Upper Subansiri, Arunachal Pradesh |
| Timing | Face-off in late July; tents reportedly set up in early August |
| Distance | About 2.5 km inside the LAC (as reported) |
| Source | ThePrint (earlier reporting) |
Government spokesmen have not, as yet, provided a detailed account that addresses the specific claims cited by Owaisi and in media reports. The defence and security establishment routinely reviews transgressions and stand-offs along the LAC through diplomatic and military channels; however, Owaisi’s remarks underline demands from opposition and regional leaders for more transparent public briefings on incidents that affect territorial management and troop deployments.
Senior opposition figures have previously used such incidents to press the government for explanations about rules of engagement, the status of patrols, and the negotiation posture with Beijing. Owaisi’s comments add to a chorus of queries that the government will likely have to answer as the BRICS summit approaches and as bilateral high-level contacts are readied.
It remains to be seen whether New Delhi will issue an expanded public statement addressing the specific allegations of tents and blocked patrols in Taksing, or whether the matter will be handled through classified briefings and routine military diplomacy. For now, the facts as reported to date remain as described in media accounts and the public post by Owaisi on X.