New Delhi: Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday said security agencies arrested over 200 operatives of the ISI‑backed Shahzad Bhatti Network (SBN) in coordinated actions across 14 states, foiling what he described as planned subversive attacks ahead of Independence Day.
Operations, recoveries and probe
In a message posted on the social media platform X, Mr Shah said security forces had "ripped apart" the network by conducting raids at multiple locations. A government statement circulated alongside the announcement listed a range of recoveries, including improvised explosive devices (IEDs), grenades marked with Pakistan Ordnance Factory identifiers, pistols, live ammunition and CCTV cameras allegedly used for espionage.
"Modi government destroyed the ISI-backed terror group Shahzad Bhatti Network ahead of Independence Day and thwarted its plans for subversive attacks by arresting more than 200 operatives," Mr Shah posted on X.
The statement characterised the SBN as a Pakistan‑based syndicate implicated in grenade and IED attacks, petrol‑bomb incidents and targeted killings within India. It said the group paid local contacts to survey police, defence and religious sites, and to install CCTV cameras for reconnaissance.
- Arrests reported: more than 200 operatives
- Geographic spread of operations: 14 states
- Items recovered (as listed by the government): IEDs, grenades, pistols, live cartridges, CCTV cameras
Agency actions and legal steps
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is probing multiple cases linked to the network, the government statement said. The SBN has been named in alleged attacks, including a grenade incident at the residence of a social media influencer in Jalandhar in March 2025; the NIA had earlier filed a chargesheet in April 2026 listing Shahzad Bhatti as an absconder, according to the statement.
No further details were provided in the initial release about the identities of those arrested, the precise locations of the raids, or whether any senior operatives of the group were detained during the operations. The government did not immediately release a breakdown of the seized material by state or the quantities of explosive devices recovered.
Political and security context
Home Minister Shah framed the operations as an example of the country’s zero‑tolerance policy on terrorism, emphasising inter‑agency coordination in the actions carried out ahead of a major national occasion. The announcement comes amid heightened public and political sensitivity to cross‑border terrorism and proxy networks allegedly supported by foreign agencies.
As investigations continue, security agencies are expected to interrogate the arrested suspects, verify the provenance of the seized equipment and reconstruct any operational plans. Any further charges or court filings will be handled under applicable anti‑terror statutes and investigated by the NIA, the statement said.
| Aspect | Detail |
|---|---|
| Arrests | Over 200 operatives |
| States involved | 14 |
| Seized material | IEDs, grenades, pistols, live cartridges, CCTV cameras |
| Investigating agency | NIA (multiple cases) |
The government statement and Mr Shah’s social media posting provided the primary published account of the developments; official law‑and‑order details, including FIRs and charges, are likely to be issued by the investigating agencies as proceedings advance.
At this stage the central release did not specify whether any of the arrested suspects had direct operational links to external handlers, or whether forensic analysis had confirmed the provenance of explosive components and grenades. Security officials are expected to publish further findings as they progress with the NIA’s enquiries.
This report is based on the Home Minister's public message and the government statement circulated on Monday.