Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir administration has asked departments to permit Kashmiri Pandits working in the Valley to remain at home following the circulation of an online threat letter that named some employees, officials said on Tuesday. Police said they are verifying the authenticity of the message, which has been linked to a group called the United Liberation Council.
Verbal instructions to departments
While no formal written order has been issued by the government, verbal directions were conveyed to several departments, including schools and the Revenue Department, asking that Kashmiri Pandit employees be allowed special leave and advised to move to safer locations, officials said. A principal of a government school said staff were initially told to be lenient on attendance for migrant employees and subsequently informed they should stay home "for some time."
Nature of the online message and security response
Police sources said the letter warned Kashmiri Pandits who reside outside the Valley but work here to "change their ways" and included the names and phone numbers of some employees. Officials added that all six employees named in the message are attached to the Revenue Department.
"This group first surfaced in July when it released a poster on (Hizbul Mujahideen commander) Burhan Wani’s death anniversary," a police officer said. "It seems to be another shadow group of Lashkar."
Security agencies began heightened vigilance after the threat surfaced, officials said, noting that it followed an incident on July 31 when two migrant workers were killed at a brick kiln in south Kashmir's Kulgam district. Police are examining whether the United Liberation Council is a front for Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) or another proxy.
Local impact and administrative measures
Departments were reportedly asked to allow special leave and adopt a cautious approach for employees who were named or who may be vulnerable. The verbal advisories affected attendance practices at educational institutions and other government offices. Officials urged staff to remain alert and relocate to safer places if advised.
- Number of employees named: Six, reportedly attached to the Revenue Department.
- Recent related incident: Killing of two migrant workers at a brick kiln in Kulgam on July 31.
- Group claiming responsibility: United Liberation Council — authenticity under verification by police.
Verification and ongoing probe
Police sources said investigators are verifying the origin and credibility of the letter circulating online. The security establishment has been placed on heightened alert while inquiries continue into the group that circulated the message and whether it is linked to existing proscribed organisations.
| Item | Details |
|---|---|
| Employees named | Six (reported to be from Revenue Department) |
| Alleged sender | United Liberation Council (under verification) |
| Recent related violence | Killing of two migrant workers, Kulgam, July 31 |
Precautions advised
Officials said affected employees were asked to stay in touch with their departments and local authorities, and to move to safer locations as necessary. School authorities were told to be flexible on attendance for migrant staff pending further advisories.
Police continue to investigate the provenance of the letter and whether the group named has operational links with established militant organisations. No arrests or formal charges have been reported so far. The administration and security agencies have maintained vigilance across the Valley while assessing any imminent threat to employees identified in the circulated message.
Further directives, if any, are likely to be issued after the verification is completed, officials said.