Mendhar, Poonch (August 11, 2026) — Security forces on Tuesday launched a large-scale joint search operation in the Mendhar sector of Jammu and Kashmir's Poonch district after a security guard at a tunnel construction site observed suspicious movement, officials said.
The operation, which began at about 6 a.m., involves personnel of the Jammu and Kashmir Police, the Special Operation Group (SOG) and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). The searches are focused on forested tracts around Bhatadurian, Sangiot and adjoining areas, officials said.
What happened at the site
According to officials, a security guard deployed at the tunnel under construction noticed activity he deemed suspicious and fired three to four rounds as a precautionary measure. No casualties or damage to property have been reported so far, they added. Further details were being awaited from the agencies involved.
- Time of alert: Around 6 a.m. on August 11.
- Location: Tunnel construction site in Mendhar sector; searches in Bhatadurian, Sangiot and adjoining forested areas.
- Forces involved: Jammu and Kashmir Police, SOG and CRPF.
- Immediate outcome: Precautionary firing by guard; no loss of life or property reported.
Operational details and context
Officials said the joint search was launched after the guard’s report of suspicious movement near the construction zone. Personnel from the police, SOG and CRPF have been combing the forested stretches that lead up to the tunnel project, conducting area domination and searches along likely approaches and cover, they said. The agencies have not released further operational findings or arrests as of the latest updates.
The operation comes amid continued security vigilance in border and forward sectors of Poonch district, where infrastructure projects and construction activities often receive dedicated security cover. Authorities routinely deploy escorts and guards at such sites to deter infiltration and protect workers and assets.
“No loss of life or damage to property has been reported so far,” officials said regarding the incident.
Public safety and movement
Residents in hamlets and villages near the search area can expect heightened movement of security convoys and temporary checkpoints while searches continue, officials indicated. Those travelling in and around Mendhar and adjacent belts are advised to follow directions from local police and security personnel and allow searches to proceed without interference.
| Aspect | Detail |
|---|---|
| Alert reported | Security guard sighted suspicious movement near tunnel construction |
| Immediate action | Guard fired three to four rounds as a precautionary measure |
| Search operation | Joint search by Police, SOG and CRPF in Bhatadurian, Sangiot and adjoining areas |
| Casualties/damage | None reported |
Officials have refrained from releasing more details pending the conclusion of searches and verification of any recovered material or evidence. They said that further briefings will follow as the situation is assessed.
Broader security implications
Incidents of suspicious movement around infrastructure projects prompt rapid responses from multiple agencies in Poonch, a district that shares an international boundary and has complex terrain. Joint operations involving the police, SOG and central forces are standard practice when initial reports indicate a potential security threat, officials noted.
Local administration and security agencies typically coordinate to secure construction sites, protect workers and ensure that essential projects continue while balancing civil movement and safety. As the searches proceed, officials urged calm among the populace and asked citizens to share any information about suspicious persons or activity with the nearest police station.
Updates were expected later in the day after teams complete their searches and collate findings, the officials said.