Ranchi, 17 August 2026: The Jharkhand government on Monday announced the cancellation of all activities associated with TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL) — including examinations conducted, results published and candidate selections — and also decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations, the state administration said.
Students hail decision, call for systemic reforms
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato expressed gratitude to the state administration and Chief Minister Hemant Soren for acceding to student demands and said the decision will support an ongoing probe into alleged irregularities in the examination system. Mahato said students would continue to back efforts to eliminate corruption from recruitment and testing processes.
“We extend our heartfelt thanks to all the students, parents, members of the media, the police administration, and especially the Jharkhand government and Chief Minister Hemant Soren for supporting and cooperating with this movement,” Mahato said.
He added that the investigation was focused on those involved in irregularities and that students would cooperate with authorities to identify and apprehend offenders. Mahato also warned against short-lived probes, saying previous investigations by agencies such as the CBI or CID had sometimes been initiated and then dropped, and called for guarantees that leaks and malpractice would not recur.
What the state has done so far
The government decision halts all TDPL-linked operations and voids selections and results that were produced under its engagement. The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examinations follows concerns raised by students and activists about paper leaks and other malpractices.
- Cancelled: All examinations, results and candidate selections linked to TDPL.
- Scrapped: JSSC-CGL examinations until further notice.
- Probe ongoing: Authorities are investigating alleged examination irregularities; students say they will cooperate.
| Action | Scope |
|---|---|
| Cancellation of TDPL activities | Exams conducted, results published, candidate selections |
| Cancellation of JSSC-CGL | State-level combined graduate-level recruitment exam |
Context and consequences
The move comes after sustained protests and demands from student groups alleging systemic failures and malpractice in competitive examinations. Cancellation of results and selection lists will affect candidates who had been provisionally selected; the government has not yet issued a detailed timeline or fresh schedule for re-conducting exams. Students are now awaiting an official notice from the state outlining next steps, the nature of the probe, and any protections for candidates whose results have been annulled.
Mahato emphasised that while students welcomed the immediate cancellations, their longer-term goal is structural reform: a reliable examination framework that prevents leaks, ensures transparent conduct, and restores public confidence. He said the movement will continue until guarantees are provided that such irregularities will not recur.
Authorities conducting the probe are expected to identify and take action against those responsible. Mahato urged that investigations be thorough and not curtailed prematurely, pointing to past instances where inquiries by central investigative agencies were ordered but later discontinued.
What students and parents should watch for
Until the government issues an official notification, candidates and families should monitor the Jharkhand government and JSSC web portals for authenticated updates. Key items to expect in an official circular include:
- Details of the scope and agency leading the probe.
- Instructions for affected candidates, including status of provisional selections and refunds (if applicable).
- Timelines for re-examination or re-selection processes, if planned.
The students’ movement and the state response highlight ongoing challenges in administering high-stakes public recruitment tests. The cancellation is a significant immediate step; its efficacy will depend on the transparency and completeness of the ensuing investigation and the reforms the government commits to implement.
Officials have not yet published a detailed notification on the modalities for re-conducting exams or compensatory measures; candidates should wait for the formal government communication for authoritative procedures and timelines.