New Delhi, 17 August 2026: The Union Education Ministry has instructed the National Testing Agency (NTA) to carry out a thorough audit of all examination processes and to submit a report on corrective action after the agency cancelled the UGC‑NET papers for English, Commerce and Sociology following multiple errors in the question papers. The cancelled papers will be reconducted on 9 and 10 September, the NTA announced.
Audit, overhaul and stricter protocols ordered
In a meeting on Monday, Education Minister Pralhad Joshi reviewed the recent lapses with senior ministry and NTA officials and directed strict adherence to established examination protocols. The ministry said the Minister ordered a "complete overhaul of Confidential Operations (CONOPS) architecture, secluded rooms, air‑gapped systems, device‑deposit protocols" to be implemented "on war footing".
"The Minister directed that strict compliance be ensured of the established exam protocols and also directed that a Complete overhaul of Confidential Operations (CONOPS) architecture, secluded rooms, air-gapped systems, device-deposit protocols be implemented on war footing," the ministry said.
The ministry has asked the NTA to submit a detailed audit of all exam processes and spell out corrective measures taken. The order comes a day after the NTA acknowledged errors in the UGC‑NET question papers and cancelled the June examinations in the three subjects.
Context: earlier controversies and reforms
The UGC‑NET cancellations follow a series of high‑profile examination failures this year. The NTA earlier cancelled the NEET‑UG paper of 3 May due to a question‑paper leak and reconducted NEET on 21 June. The CUET‑UG administration on 30 May also saw disruption when 3,765 students were unable to take the test because of a software glitch, the ministry noted.
On 26 July, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the formation of a high‑powered task force on examination reforms chaired by Nandan Nilekani, co‑founder and former chairperson of Infosys. The latest cancellations have sharpened calls for systemic reforms from political parties and student groups.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi said, "NTA makes the mistake, but the student serves the sentence."
Re‑examination schedule and student impact
The NTA has fixed 9 and 10 September 2026 for the re‑examination of the UGC‑NET papers in the affected subjects. The June exam had been held between 22 and 30 June. The ministry and the agency have not provided fresh information on exam centres, admit card issuance or the process for students who may seek refunds or other remedies; candidates are advised to watch the NTA website for official notifications and updates.
- Cancelled subjects: English, Commerce, Sociology
- Original exam window: 22–30 June 2026
- Re‑exam dates: 9 and 10 September 2026
- Ministry action: Full audit of processes; CONOPS and other security protocols to be overhauled
| Item | Details |
|---|---|
| Exams cancelled | UGC‑NET — English, Commerce, Sociology |
| Initial exam dates | 22–30 June 2026 |
| Re‑examination dates | 9–10 September 2026 |
| Directed actions | Audit of processes; overhaul of CONOPS; implement secluded rooms, air‑gapped systems, device‑deposit protocols |
Students and parents anxious about schedules and eligibility should note the re‑exam dates now fixed by the NTA and keep an eye on the official NTA portal for updated admit cards and centre lists. The ministry statement did not change eligibility criteria; candidates who had appeared in June are understood to be eligible to sit the reconducted papers.
Next steps and accountability
The cancellations have reignited scrutiny of the NTA’s governance and security mechanisms. The ministry has asked for a corrective action report after the NTA completes the audit. The episode follows the NEET‑UG paper‑leak controversy that prompted nationwide protests earlier this year and contributed to political pressure for reform of national examination systems.
Further details, including the procedural timeline for the audit report and any disciplinary action arising from the review, are expected once the NTA submits its findings to the ministry. Candidates are advised to rely only on official releases from the Ministry of Education and the NTA for definitive information.
Note to candidates: For official notifications and admit card downloads, refer to the NTA website and the Ministry of Education notices. Watch for updates on centre allocation, reporting time and permissible items at exam venues ahead of the 9–10 September re‑exams.