Owner sentenced following deadly 2023 fire at 47 Jade Cres.
A Brampton property owner has been convicted and sentenced in connection with a house fire that killed a pregnant woman and her three‑year‑old daughter in June 2023, the City of Brampton and fire officials said.
The blaze began at about 11 p.m. on June 2, 2023, at the residence on 47 Jade Cres. When crews arrived, they found one person outside with fire injuries and located two people inside the home. Fire authorities later confirmed the woman who was pregnant died at the scene and her three‑year‑old child died in hospital several days later. Officials also said the three victims were living in the basement.
Illegal conversions and missing safety devices
Investigators from Brampton Fire and Emergency Services determined the property had been converted from the two units it was registered for into four separate units without the required permits. The altered layout had been leased out despite not meeting requirements under the Ontario Building Code and Fire Code, the city said.
- No working smoke alarms were found on the first storey.
- No working smoke alarms were found in the basement.
- Fire investigators laid charges related to fire separations and alarm installation and maintenance.
As a result of the probe, fire officials laid seven charges under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act against the property owner for failures tied to compartmentation and to the proper installation and upkeep of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
Sentence and penalties
The City of Brampton said the owner received 135 days of consecutive custody and was placed on two years' probation with a condition prohibiting the commission of the same or a related offence. Financial penalties ordered by the court included $50,000 in fines and a $10,000 victim surcharge.
| Disposition | Details |
|---|---|
| Custody | 135 days (consecutive) |
| Probation | 2 years (condition: not to commit the same or related offence) |
| Fines | $50,000 |
| Victim surcharge | $10,000 |
The sentence aims to hold the owner accountable for safety failures that city officials say resulted in loss of life and serious injury.
City reaction and message to landlords
“The sentence cannot bring back a mother and her young daughter. It cannot undo the lifelong injuries suffered by another family member. Nothing can. But accountability matters,”
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said in a city statement that the municipality “will not tolerate slumlords putting tenants’ lives at risk.” He added a clear warning to property owners in Brampton: if you rent a property, you are responsible for the people who live there.
Local implications and next steps
The conviction underscores long‑standing concerns about illegal unit conversions across the Greater Toronto Area, where demand for affordable housing has in some cases pushed landlords to create additional rental units without following building and safety codes. For Brampton residents, the case highlights several immediate considerations:
- Renters should confirm the presence and functionality of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their units.
- Tenants with safety concerns can contact Brampton Fire and Emergency Services or the city for inspections and guidance.
- Landlords must ensure conversions are permitted and meet the Ontario Building Code and Fire Code requirements.
Officials did not provide further details about the ongoing status of the other injured occupant. The city said the charges related specifically to building separations and alarm requirements; it did not list charges of arson or other criminal offences tied to the start of the blaze.
As Brampton continues to grow, municipal officials say enforcement against illegal conversions and negligent rental practices will remain a priority to prevent similar tragedies.