Indore: The Madhya Pradesh Police have arrested two suspects in connection with the killing of a 17-year-old boy in April 2015, authorities said on Wednesday, bringing to a close an 11-year-old cold case that was re-examined under a city-wide initiative to reopen unsolved murders.
Case retrieval under Operation Ujagar
Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone 2, Aman Singh Rathore said the Khajrana police team revisited the file after it was included in Operation Ujagar, a programme launched in 2019 to re-investigate blind murder cases in Indore. The matter was first registered in April 2015 under Sections 363 and 302 of the Indian Penal Code.
According to Rathore, the probe had been discontinued at one point after investigators were unable to develop leads. The case was reopened along with other unsolved homicides as part of the operation, and fresh intelligence from informers led to new questioning and arrests.
"The accused had taken a lift from the deceased," Rathore said, describing how the sequence of events unfolded on the night of the crime.
Alleged motive, recovered items and accused profile
Police said the victim, a student, had offered a lift to three individuals who later requested his gold locket and a silver chain. Investigators allege that when the boy refused to hand over the jewellery, two of the men attacked him with a knife, inflicting fatal neck wounds, and subsequently set the victim’s motorcycle on fire.
Investigating officers named three accused in the case: Aqeel, Arif and Parvez; Parvez is said to be deceased. The DCP reported that Aqeel faces approximately 14 FIRs while Arif has three pending criminal cases. The two living suspects were detained and questioned by Khajrana police, who say timelines and material evidence matched their accounts.
Police added that the personal items reportedly taken at the time of the killing were seized from the accused during searches and verification of the suspects’ statements.
Investigation timeline and police action
The original FIR was lodged after the April 2015 killing. Despite several years of inquiry, the probe failed to yield conclusive leads and the file was closed. The case was included in the 2019 drive that re-opened multiple unresolved homicides in Indore, prompting renewed enquiries and the development of human intelligence that culminated in the recent arrests, officials said.
Rathore also emphasised there was no prior personal enmity between the victim and the accused; the three were not known to the student before the incident, according to the DCP.
- Date of incident: April 2015
- Victim: 17-year-old male student
- Charges registered: Sections 363 and 302 IPC (as applicable at the time)
- Operation under which case reopened: Operation Ujagar (2019)
- Named suspects: Aqeel (alive), Arif (alive), Parvez (deceased)
| Accused | Reported criminal record | Present status |
|---|---|---|
| Aqeel | About 14 FIRs | Arrested |
| Arif | 3 pending cases | Arrested |
| Parvez | Not specified | Deceased |
Local impact and broader concerns
The reopening and successful resolution of this matter is likely to be closely watched by residents in Indore, where the police initiative sought to rebuild trust by re-examining cold cases. For families of victims, a renewed probe after many years can bring closure, while highlighting persistent challenges in investigating violent crimes, including gaps in early evidence collection and witness development.
Police investigators said their recent progress stemmed from targeted intelligence and corroborative checks on timelines and recovered property. No information was provided on court proceedings or formal chargesheeting as of the latest update; further legal steps will follow the completion of procedural formalities and forensic processes, officials indicated.
The Khajrana police have taken the two suspects into custody and further interrogation and forensic verification are expected to inform the next stage of prosecution. Authorities have not released additional details about the deceased suspect Parvez beyond confirming his status.
Investigations into older, unresolved homicides remain a priority for metropolitan units seeking to reduce impunity and reassure communities, particularly where young victims and opportunistic street crimes are involved.
(Reporting from Indore)