Health department says reports of 500 falling ill at Bengaluru school exaggerated
The Karnataka Health Department on Monday clarified that an alleged H1N1 outbreak at a private school in Bengaluru’s Richmond Town did not occur at the scale earlier reported, saying no student has tested positive and only two teachers were confirmed H1N1-positive and are receiving treatment.
Health Commissioner Gurudutt Hegde provided the clarification after media reports and social-media posts said more than 500 students and staff at Clarence School had developed symptoms such as fever and cough and that the institution had been shut down.
According to the commissioner’s statement, the school was temporarily closed and directed to remain shut until August 18 as a precautionary measure after reports emerged of widespread illness among students and staff. A surveillance team from the health department visited the school and advised testing for students and faculty as a precaution, Hegde said.
"There is no H1N1 outbreak at the school. No students have tested positive; only two teachers have tested positive and are under treatment," the Health Commissioner said.
The department’s account narrowed the scope of the event from earlier narratives that suggested a mass outbreak affecting hundreds. Hegde cautioned against spreading inaccurate information on public-health matters and said there was no need for public panic.
What action has been taken
- Clarence School in Richmond Town was temporarily closed until August 18 as a precaution after reports of illness among students and staff.
- A surveillance team from the Karnataka Health Department visited the school to assess the situation.
- Students and staff were advised to undergo testing as a precautionary measure.
- Two teachers who tested positive for H1N1 are currently undergoing treatment, according to the Health Commissioner.
The clarification is important for parents and the local community in central Bengaluru, where any suggestion of an infectious-disease outbreak in schools prompts immediate concern given the high population density and routine interactions in classrooms and transport.
School closures, even when precautionary, have consequences for working parents, transport patterns and routine healthcare-seeking. The department’s emphasis on testing and surveillance aligns with standard public-health practice to contain any spread and to identify cases early.
Context and public response
Reports of large numbers of students falling ill reverberated across social media on Sunday, prompting the temporary shut-down. Viral posts with figures such as 500 ill contributed to an alarmed public reaction until the health department provided an on-the-record corrective statement.
Health officials reiterated the need for accurate information during potential infectious-disease events. Rapid confirmation of test results and transparent communication by school authorities and the health department are central to managing public concern.
| Item | Reported/Confirmed |
|---|---|
| People reported ill (media/social reports) | More than 500 (reported) |
| Students testing positive for H1N1 | None (confirmed by Health Commissioner) |
| Teachers testing positive for H1N1 | 2 (confirmed; under treatment) |
| School status | Temporarily shut until August 18 (precautionary) |
Medical experts say differentiating between seasonal viral illnesses and influenza strains requires laboratory confirmation; the health department’s move to send a surveillance team and recommend testing for students follows that practice. Officials did not provide details in the statement about the nature or severity of symptoms in the two teachers, or whether they had underlying conditions.
Local parents and neighbourhood residents in Richmond Town sought reassurance after media coverage. Some parents had already kept children at home; others awaited the results of testing advised by the surveillance team.
The episode highlights the sensitivity of infectious-disease reporting in Bengaluru, which has a dense school-going population and extensive inter-school transport. Public-health messaging from the department aimed to correct the earlier impression of a large outbreak while continuing precautionary measures to ensure community safety.
The health department statement, attributed to Commissioner Gurudutt Hegde, remains the primary official account of the incident. Further updates on test results and the school's reopening plan will depend on surveillance findings and follow-up by health authorities and the school management.