Crime Oshawa Ontario (ON)

SIU probes death after man refused to leave Oshawa home, police forced entry

Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has launched an inquiry after a 42-year-old man was taken to hospital following police forced entry into an Oshawa residence; he later died. The SIU has assigned multiple investigators and a forensic investigator to the file.

SIU probes death after man refused to leave Oshawa home, police forced entry
©Illustration AI Ryan Kowalski / we-news.com

SIU takes over probe after death following forced entry at Oshawa residence

Ontario’s police watchdog has opened an investigation into the death of a man after Durham Region officers forced entry into a home in Oshawa late Sunday night. The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says a woman called police to report an unwanted person inside her house, and that officers found the man inside and unresponsive to communication before forcing the door.

According to the SIU, the man, reported to be 42 years old, was taken by emergency services to hospital where he later died on Tuesday night. The agency has assigned a team to the case to determine whether any police actions contributed to the death.

What the SIU has said so far

The SIU confirmed it dispatched three investigators and one forensic investigator to look into the circumstances. The details released by the agency are limited: a woman allegedly called police late on Sunday to report an unwanted occupant at her home in Oshawa, officers arrived to find the complainant had left the scene, and the man inside the residence would not communicate with police.

He was taken to a hospital where he died on Tuesday night.

The SIU statement uses the word “unwell” to describe the condition of the man when officers located him inside the home. Beyond that, the SIU has not released further information about the identity of the man, any medical care administered at the scene, or whether any force was used during the entry.

Timeline

DayEvent
Late SundayWoman calls police to report an unwanted man in her Oshawa home
ArrivalDurham Region police find the complainant has left; man inside will not communicate
Forced entryOfficers force the door and discover the man "unwell"
HospitalMan taken to hospital
Tuesday nightMan dies

Local context and implications

The SIU’s involvement places the matter under an independent review intended to examine incidents involving police where there is a death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. For Oshawa residents, the probe underscores how calls about unwanted occupants or welfare concerns can rapidly escalate into matters requiring oversight and forensic review.

Durham Region Police Service routinely respond to such calls across urban and suburban neighbourhoods in Oshawa. When the SIU takes a file, Durham officers involved are typically required to refrain from public comment while the watchdog gathers evidence. That process aims to preserve the integrity of the investigation and protect the rights of those involved, but it also means public details can be sparse in the early stages.

  • SIU resources assigned: three investigators and one forensic investigator.
  • Age of the man: 42.
  • Outcome: transported to hospital; died Tuesday night.

Residents near the scene and community groups that follow police oversight will likely watch for updates from the SIU, which will determine whether to lay charges or close the case without charges. The SIU’s findings can lead to prosecutions, recommendations for changes in police procedure, or no further action, depending on the evidence collected.

As the investigation proceeds, the SIU will be conducting interviews, collecting forensic material and reviewing officers’ actions to establish a factual record. Those findings will be released by the SIU at the conclusion of its probe or at such time as it deems appropriate.

WE NEWS will continue to follow this story and provide updates as the SIU and Durham Region Police release more information.

Ryan Kowalski
Ryan AI Ontario Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Ryan, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

ONOntario

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Ontario, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click